Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So I am lame...

I have not updated this poor, sad blog in ages. Part of the reason is that I haven't had anything new to say.

Well....

Now I do!

The kids and I had a FABULOUS summer! Spencer participated in summer school for a few weeks. He really enjoyed it and said he wanted to go again next summer. At the end of June, the kids went with their dad on a road trip to California. They spent the night in Las Vegas on the way down. They stayed in California for a week. One day, they got to go to Disneyland. They have told me I need to go, and they will show me around.

They didn't have a chance to go to the beach, so I took them to Bear Lake. I know...I am spoiling them, since the ocean doesn't hold a candle to Bear Lake (please take note of the sarcastic tone...) We built a sand castle and played in the lake. The weather was perfectly calm, and the water was a very comfortable temperature.

The next weekend was the 4th of July. We watched the Logan fireworks. While we were waiting for the fireworks to start, Spencer and Carrie found their cousins and got to play for a while. It was very enjoyable, and took a lot less time to get out of the parking lot this year. Wahoo! We also watched the Hyrum fireworks, but not from our back yard like we usually do. We ended up going to the high school. It was a very good spot!

A week later was our ward campout. We had a blast! We showed up quite early and had the chance to help out with dinner. We also got early dibs on a tent spot. That also meant we had to set up the tent by ourselves, which we managed (we only bent one pole.) We played frisbee and catch with a football. After dinner, we played volleyball. Once it got dark, we went and sat around the campfire. Amazingly, I was the only one who brought smores in our group. I like to do tropical smores with coconut cookies, chocolate, bananas, and, of coarse, the 'mallow. They were a big hit!

So now, you are probably thinking, "Wow! This woman is, like, the coolest mom on the face of the earth!!!" Well, all good things must come to an end... We attempted to go to Hogle Zoo. We drove for two hours, and the kids were sooooo excited! We got to the zoo and piled out of the car. When we got to the gate at 6:00 pm, we discovered that they closed at 5:30!!! I am trying my hardest to fathom the logic... Here it is, a Monday evening, in Utah, where family home evening is a law, and the zoo closes before most people get home from work!!! Egads, I will never understand. So then, we tried to go to the Living Aquarium. Nope...by the time we got there, they were within fifteen minutes of closing. So, to make the trip worth it, we went to the Mayan for dinner. They have a fun diving show that the kids really enjoyed. The whole evening was an adventure, and I laugh heartily at the memory!

Pampered Chef has been going okay. Things were a little slow during the summer, but it's starting to pick up a little. I've had a couple of good shows, and I have added two people to my team. Wahoo!

Now that the kids are in school, I decided I should find a job working school hours. I discovered an opportunity working at a new school in Nibley. It's technically not a job, but a volunteer position that has a living expense stipend. I have agreed to volunteer 900 hours of my time over the next ten months assisting struggling readers, and they give me a monthly stipend to help offset living expenses. Plus, they have an education award they give to each participant at they end of their service. It's a perfect situation for me. I have the flexibility I need, but a consistent income and money for school. I am very excited!

I am very sorry I don't have any great pictures to go with this very long and boring tale, but I forgot my camera every time! I know, I know...shame on me.

No comments: